Friday, September 29, 2006

My Surgery - Horrible

I just came back from my surgery…Traumatised… …


BEFORE
Went back office early in the morning (around 730am) to do some stuff before I break for my MC…

Reached the dental clinic around 1030… waited and waited… One patient in the morning was late, so I waited till 1115 before the nurse called me over and requested that I swallow some pills… 2 tablets of antibiotics and 1 tablet of painkiller… At around 1130, I was led to the dentist chair.

With his big curly hair concealed under the shower cap, the dentist look better today.. … hahaha… I know that’s not called a shower cap.. but I dunno wad to call that…


Thereafter, my nightmare started… he injected me with lots of anesthetic.. and I could feel my whole upper lips and nose ballooning… I was waiting for the nurse and the dentist to get ready.. as I waited.. I itchy hand and went to touch my lips.. I got a shock.. my lower lip was “not there” anymore.. My upper lip was sooo swollen that it had “spilled” over my lower lip.. I suddenly felt like Simpson.. peng san…

He explained to me the necessary while waiting for the anesthetic to take effect:
1) Procedures
2) Success rate around 80%
3) Risk including infection and pain


The procedures (refer to the below picture):
> Cut the gums and flip it over to expose the cyst (in yellow)
> Drill off the 4 tips of the root and put a hard material to seal off the tooth (along the line in green)
> Burst the cyst
> Scrap away the gums affected by the cyst




The nurse started wrapping the equipment (drills, lamp etc) in aluminum foil.. while I waited and waited.. I suddenly feel some tightness around my bladder.. then hor.. I feel like peeing.. whahahaa.. they’ve already covered me and put “shower cap” and “bib” on me… but hor.. u know bladder weak cannot tahan one.. so I ask , “isit too late for me to say I need to go to the ladies?” hahhaa.. the dentist was very nice… he said I betta go now rather than after he start the op…

He took the blade… and said he’s gonna start… I decided that I wanna keep my eyes shut for the whole surgery… I don’t wanna see any blood…or syringe.. or drills…or blades…

DURING
CUTTING
He started cutting.. the surgery started quite well.. well to me means no pain… the area he cut was larger than what I had expected. He cut my gums over the area of around 5 teeth. Then as he cut, he started scrapping the gums away from my teeth higher and higher.. until my root was exposed. He flip my lips outwards so high up, that it could actually cover my nose!! I couldn’t breathe… my nostrils were blocked by my lips… i started breathing thru my mouth.. The rusty smell of blood filled the room… taking a peep, I saw bloody gloves, bloody blades… bloody equipment.. oh..gross.. I’d betta be discipline and keep my eyes closed.. I was shaken and afraid.. my knees and hands were trembling…

Then, he took out a drill and started drilling away the tip of the roots… the drilling was hard and ear piercing…
BURSTING
Here comes the bursting of the cyst.. I couldn’t feel him bursting the cyst but after a short moment, he started scrapping at the area where my cyst was.. he scrapped and scrapped.. I could feel him using a lot of strength.. all of a SUDDEN………………

I felt an instant EXCRUCIATING PAIN at the roof of my mouth !! Was thinking to myself… “can’t be that he poke the blade thru the roof of my mouth right????” I used my tongue and felt the roof… okie.. safe.. no blade… then, the pain came yet again… I highlighted to the dentist that I felt pain.. so he injected me with anesthetic again.. I nearly fainted… When he injected me, I could feel the burst of anesthetic coming from all directions

Flow 1) From the exposed gums, through my nose and into my throat
Flow 2) From the exposed gums, right through the roof my mouth, on my tongue like a fountain, and into my throat…


The anesthetic burnt my tongue and throat… it tasted bitter…

After the anesthetic, sad to say that it still hurts when he scrap…. Haiz…

He could see me wince my eyebrow, raise my kneeclench my fist and look like I was ready to POUNCE on him.. kekkee.. he then told his nurse to hold me down..

After that, I took a final x-ray to ensure everything was fine...and he begin to stitch me up.. I had around 10 stitches I think.. or even more… the whole area of the gums above my 5 teeth are criss-crossed with stitches…. And its not neatly done.. not parallel nor perpendicular… its just a big web of stitches… I will post up the photos of my stitches when the swelling and the pain is gone..

AFTER


Well.. he briefed me abt what happened during the operation. He told me that he knew the cyst was big…. However, the cyst is deeper than he had imagined.. he scrapped deeper and deeper, and he actually reached the roof of my mouth!! That explains why I felt pain…

Well, there are still some lining of the cyst not yet removed as it was too near the roof of my mouth. He will observe to see if it acts up.. if not.. we can just leave it…

After stuffing some gauze into my mouth, I left the room to make arrangements for medisave deduction. By that time, it was already 130. The dentist then walked out of the room to visit the gents… when he came back, I attempted to smile to him… when he saw me smile, he look worried.. my gauze were stained bright red with blood.. he led me to the dentist chair again and mention that I shouldn’t be bleeding so much now… he removed the gauze and exclaimed , “oh no... cannot. He then ask the nurse to prepare for suction to suck away my bloodied mouth.. he traced the source of the bleeding to a point and injected me with something to stop the bleeding..

With my mouth stuffed with gauze.. I look like our prehistoric ancestors… before the evolution of humans… whahahaa…

Ok.. finally the 1st nightmare is over.. after the anesthetic wears off it'll be another nightmare...

Rushed home immediately to put ice pack on my mouth.. dentist says i have to do it to prevent huge swelling..

I flagged a cab, and mumbled “gau-gang ah-ver-new egg….”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh..i felt pain while reading your blog! but i must say you're so brave.. i would have fainted if i were in your shoes.. but *clap clap* its over le!!

Moonie said...

yes... i find myself v brave too... but *choi choi* *touchwood touchwood* if i ever need to have another operation, i would get someone to go with me...

Bleeding is no joke... makes ppl giddy...