Tuesday, June 28, 2005

My Taiwan Trip


Day 1 - Taipei
Transit at Hong Kong. Reached Taipei Airport at around 3pm.

Fisherman’s Wharf
Scenic sea and mountain view. Walked along a ledge along the beach and though its only 1m tall, the splashing of waves on my left and wind howling is enough to send shivers. Felt like an episode out of fear factor… hahaha… I’m exaggerating.

Tamsui old street and Shilin Night Market

Drizzled for the 7 days I was in Taiwan. Biggest regret: Did not get to eat the famous “Zha Ji Pa” from Shilin.

Hotel – Taoyuan Yaward

Its not a hotel but a 5* golf resort. Though the surrounding was pitch dark, the hotel room was nice and comfy…

Day 2 – Taipei / Taichung

Yingko Ceremic Street
Would have bought some nice bowls and plates if I had visited Ceremic Street on the last day. Was afraid that the bowls would have became Ceremic bits if I were to lug them along for another 5 days.

Martyr’s Shine
Witness the changing of guards. Was amused by the elaborated ceremony. Hehe.. took picture with the handsome guard (though he has abit of cock eye)

San Keng Tofu Street
Had my first bite of smelly tofu. It smelt like a wet market selling life chickens. Pluck up my courage to take my first bite after being convinced that it doesn’t taste as bad as it smells. ALAS!!! PUNGENT…absolutely PUNGENT!!! I couldn’t find a bin and had to down my smelly tofu with mineral water. Never ever gonna try it again.

Hotel – Taichung Fulwan
A 4* hotel. Was warned by our guide not to have too high expectation but lucky me n hippo, by chance got a room with 2 king-size bed and a small lounge with sofa. Others from our tour group were green with envy…


Day 3: Kaohsiung / Tainan

Wen Wu Temple & Sun Moon Lake
Wen Wu Temple worships Confucius (wen), Guan Gong and Yue Fei (Wu). Had a nice time taking pictures. The itinerary states a visit to Sun Moon Lake…but oh well… wad it means that we can view the Sun Moon Lake from the Wen Wu temple… PENGZzz…

Mei Non Hakka Village
The worst stop of the 7 days though I’m a Hakka. Boringz… Period.

Five Cent Driftwood House
A restaurant built without blueprints. Built out of wood, tree trunks, stones etc. Feels like eating on a tree house. Full marks for ambience. An architectural marvel with country flair.. BEST!!!

Hotel – Kaoshiung Citizen

Day 4: Hualien
Hahaha…set off from Tainan to Hualien at 730am in the morning and guess wad… we reached Hualien at almost 4 pm!!! Tiring, nauseous and bumpy journey with lots of head banging with Hippo. The scene awaiting was absolutely breath taking.

Taroko Gorge
Magnificent river cutting through marble and granite till a gorge is formed. Mist clinging on to mountains surrounded by subtropical forests took my breath away.

Ami Aboriginal Culture Village
The biggest tribe in Taiwan located in Hualien. Performers looked expressionless & unfeeling. Didn’t enjoy the show at all.

Hotel – Hualien Parkview
A 5* hotel with a golf course, pool tables, table tennis, arcade etc. jacky wu once went there on his show “shi zhi lu kou”. Heavenly…absolutely heavenly..


Day 5 – Chiufen / Taipei


Chiufen had some yummy food. Bought bags of “tuchan” but din get enuff of shopping there… would reallie love to visit Chiufen sometime again…

Hsi Men ting
Didn’t buy anything except for a cup of bubble tea, “ya rou bian” (duck meat flat) and Ah Zhong Mee Sua..

Hotel – Taipei Paradise
The worst hotel… 3* I think…or maybe 2.5. But its juz a stone throw away from Hsi Men ting….so 6* for accessibility….

Day 6 – Taipei


National Palace Museum
Surprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the museum to view the Chinese art treasures like the jade cabbage and “wu hua rou” (fatty meat). Does it mean that I’m becoming an auntie to be enjoying a trip to museum?????

Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial hall
Stopped by to take some pictures of the famous “zhong zheng ji nian tang”

Taipei 101 Shopping Mall
Hahaha…keep thinking its called “Beijing 101”…nothing much to shop…so paragon-ish..and the worse thing is that my wallet is only of “This fashion” standard by Day 6.

Hotel – Grand Hyatt

The best bestest hotel. Big room, nice toilet, well furnished, good view (just beside Taipei 101). Good service, nice lobby, nice spread for breakfast….. The funniest thing happened here. When I was checking out of the hotel, I couldn’t find one side of my slipper!!! I looked in the cupboard, in the toilet, under the blanket, and almost stuck my head under the bed with no avail. Hippo asked me to look in my luggage and I declared loudly “who would be so dumb to pack slipper into the luggage!!!” welll…..guess wad… YES YOU ARE RIGHT… I’m dumb…


Day 7 – Taipei


Went to visit the discovery center of Taipei, which is also where Ma Ying Jiu office is located…too bad din get to see this charming guy….
Thereafter, we headed for airport for our journey back to Spore

No comments: